Standing Water Can Cause Problems
Summertime brings with it fun activities like squirt gun fights and running through the sprinklers, but what happens if the water from these activities don't drain away and result in pools of standing water? Even a small amount of water left undisturbed for a few days can cause a significant amount of problems. Outside, standing water can become a breeding ground for mosquitoes, which commonly breed in shallow pools of standing water and often carry diseases including malaria, West Nile virus, and Zika fever. Additionally, water left standing against your home may lead to problems with your home’s foundation.
Here are a few things to check to make sure you don't have any potential hazards around your home.
- Empty, drain or cover all things that can and may hold standing water
- Change water collection pans for plant pots weekly
- Clean bird baths on a regular basis
- Check your landscaping drainage and ensure that it drains away from your home
- Be sure you are not overwatering your lawn. Adjust the watering schedule the water less frequently or for shorter periods of time.
Water can provide a lot of fun during the summer months, but it can cause some problems. Use these ideas to keep your home safe from standing water pitfalls.
These tips are brought to you by your local SERVPRO office. We are here 24 hours a day 7 days a week if you have any water, fire or mold emergencies. Call us anytime at (707) 724-977. We serve the Vacaville, Fairfield, Dixon and Davis areas are are always Here To Help.